Despite our best efforts of maintaining and taking care of our car batteries, the possibility of an untimely dead battery cannot be eliminated completely. It is in these times that one needs to know the methods of temporarily reviving a battery so that the car can be taken to a battery center for inspection. The most popular method of starting a dead battery instantly is the jumpstart method. BPZ understands the significance of teaching our customers the necessary skills that can help in reducing their hassle in times of trouble. We would look at the jumpstart process in a step by step manner.
Before listing down the steps, it is important to know the things you need to perform a battery jumpstart. The first thing that you need is jumper cables. Ideally, the jumper cables should be long, durable and of high quality so that the flow of current can occur in a proper and safe manner. It is always a good idea to carry jumper cables in your trunk for such situations. The second thing that you need would be another car with a functioning battery. Normally, in case of accidental breakdowns, one would need to hope for a helpful passerby who would be willing to volunteer their car for the jumpstart process.
The steps to jumpstart a car, are as follows:
- Ensure that both cars are parked and stationary. This includes putting the cars in neutral gear, turning the engines off and engaging the handbrakes.
- Start making the connections of the jumper cables on your battery. Connect the red clip of the cable to the positive terminal of the battery. The positive terminal can be identified by “POS” or “+” and by its bigger size compared to the negative terminal.
- Connect the red clip on the other end of the cable to the positive terminal of the other car’s battery.
- Connect the black on the other end of the cable to the negative terminal of the other car’s battery.
- The final step of making connections is to the connect the remaining black clip to a metal surface which as far as possible from the battery. It could be a roadside metal rail or something similar.
- Start the other car and let it run for a little bit. Then make attempts to start the problematic car.
If it starts, drive the car around for about 15 minutes to recharge the battery and take it to a battery center soon after.